Sunday, April 6, 2008

BASKETBALL IS OVER OR NOT?

Well, my life has been BASKETBALL! Not a surprise with 5 boys and 2 girls that we all play basketball for fun out on the driveway; so that's how it all started. The missionaries would come over and KNOCK-OUT became part of our good-bye. Well, the three oldest are up at BYU so our home is a slower quieter pace...or not? I signed Neal, Caleb, and E.Q. up for a city league basketball team. That made 3 games a week and three practices. That was all fine until Neal made his school team and had two games a week and two practices for his school team. This was not planned as 50 boys tried out for the team and Neal was one of 10 to make the team. It was a GREAT team. The season ended a few weeks ago and they went undefeated the entire season and won the championship. During this time, Karissa made the high school basketball team and had practice 5 days a week and one to two games per week with the high school team. Well, thinking that basketball was going strong in our home, I was called to coach the Young Women's Basketball team for our ward and Karissa had to play for me! We won every game we played! The stake presidents girls on my team, the twin towers down low and with Karissa we were the greatest! The championship game came and I have been coaching for 7 years and won every year. We had a bye because we were the first place team the week before finals. The other ward stacked their team with J.V. players to beat us. We were ahead by a lot so much I felt bad even against them that we took it easy and ended up loosing by a basket! That was a BIG heartbreak but the Mormon referee who didn't know any rules and didn't give me a time out though I'm screaming it for the last 2 minutes and Karissa on the court is in her face still would not give it to me. She couldn't stand to let me win again! Her loss, rumor is paid refs next year and maybe we can get two like the young men. That would make a HUGE difference and I would LOVE IT! Anyway, Neal had to then play young men's basketball. Feeling left out, Craig was recruited. He has been playing basketball for the last 23 years I have been married to him. Therefore my life could only be running from game to game or practice to game or practice to practice. I actually got to be good friends with some of the refs because I was in the gym so much cheering. Well, Caleb's team won the whole city league championship and so his team as well was great fun to watch and cheer. If you haven't figured it out yet, I had 4 kids playing with 7 teams plus me coaching a team and Craig playing on a team that I kept the score book or ran the clock. Try doing this at 9-10PM at night with REAL MEN who want to know how many shots they made after being at games and running around all afternoon long and doing homework in the car or in the stands when we can. It was CRAZY but fun! A lot of fun. At BYU, Kristian and Tyler were playing basketball in an intramural league. It seems like we all live on a court. Well, basketball over-laps baseball. We really are baseball fans as much if not more than basketball. I'm now the team mom for two teams and Caleb made the majors and E.Q.'s is playing rookie league. Both boys are playing above their peers and are so amazing! I love it. It really is a great missionary opportunity as we have them all over to our home and they all know we won't play Sundays. We don't drink and have pictures of Christ all over our house. Well, with three baseball leagues and tax season and basketball season being over did I say OVER? No, it's not OVER! Karissa was asked to be on a San Diego league and Craig's mens team is still in it and Neal has play-offs for the young men next week. My HOT honey, a CPA is not around so I have had to do this all by myself. The 4/15 deadline is 9 days a way but whose counting! Why is it that all this goes on when he is not around? It will all be over except for 3 baseball leagues and Karissa's 1 basketball league next week when his deadline is over. NO BIG DEAL! All the hard work is done with by then of course. I think I need a break because in my spare school time I'm up packaging tax returns and investing clients millions into different bank accounts somehow not any of this really matters in the scheme of life. Isn't it amazing how these things don't matter but they seem to involve us and take up time but I seriously have no idea how I did it all. There were days I truly came home and was amazed that I could do so much. That happened a lot where I just can say I couldn't believe how much I did in a day. I wondered if I did twice what a normal person did, would my stress be twice as much and would my body think I'm 90! Feeling stressed and 90, I feel it necessary to tell my husband I love him and good luck with the next wife when I die!

1 comment:

nanamoo said...

That sounds like a lot of basketball...you forgot to mention that you also got your grandnephew(?) involved in basketball as well and he loved it too! LOL